The seven most frequently asked questions about 7 FAQ about Huygens scholarship
- I am a national of a country that is not on the list. Can I apply for a Huygens scholarship anyway?
Answer: no. There will be no exceptions to this rule.
- The deadline for applications is 1 February. Can I submit an application after this date?
Answer: no. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. The program ended in 2012.
- English is not my native language but I studied in an English-speaking country (or attended an international school or took courses taught in English), so my English is good. Do I still need to take a TOEFL test?
Answer: No, not if you can present a certificate comparable to a TOEFL score, or not if the host institution in the Netherlands will provide you with a statement attesting to your language ability. Please check yourself with the organization or institution where you have taken the test to see if it is indeed comparable to a TOEFL test. If they say that it is, attach their statement to your application.
- Can I submit my application to the Dutch embassy closest to where I live even though it is not in the country of which I am a national?
Answer: no. Your application must reach Nuffic via the embassy in your country of nationality. (For example, you have Moroccan nationality and are studying in France. You must submit your application to the Dutch embassy in Morocco.)
- I am a Chinese national and have been admitted to a course in the Netherlands. Can I apply for a Huygens scholarship?
Answer: no, not directly. You must first be selected by the China Scholarship Council.
- I speak only Spanish. Am I eligible for a Huygens scholarship?
Answer: no, generally not. But if your Dutch supervisor says in writing that you can do what you propose to do without speaking Dutch or English, an exception might be made.
- I will receive the results of my language test after the deadline. Can I still apply, sending the test results after I send the rest of the application?
Answer: Yes, in such cases you can send the results directly to Nuffic, but no later than 15 March. Please mention in your application that the results will be sent at a later date.